3D Models

February 3, 2021 at 11:36 PM

Everything related to modelling.

February 4, 2021 at 7:19 AM

I think it would be great to go over some basics of 3d materials. A lot of times when I set up a carve I feel like the carve times are very extensive. What do other members do to mitigate the time for each carve. I know a lot of it has to do with feed times and step over but what are some good baselines to follow when setting up a 3d file?

February 4, 2021 at 4:24 PM
dan-hoppe, February 4, 2021 at 6:19 AM

I think it would be great to go over some basics of 3d materials. A lot of times when I set up a carve I feel like the carve times are very extensive. What do other members do to mitigate the time for each carve. I know a lot of it has to do with feed times and step over but what are some good baselines to follow when setting up a 3d file?

From our experience we have some ways of dealing with this problem:

1. The most costing solution

-CNC with servo drivers, that will reduce your time without losing quality, this will save you around 30% 

2. If you relief is not too high, you can exclude roughing, but in this case you need to use a tapered ballnose, 8 or 10 mm diameter. You can increase your step (we use only 9% step), but in this case you will lose your quality.

So the best way is the most expensive.

Last edit: February 4, 2021 at 4:24 PM, Bogdan
February 5, 2021 at 5:27 AM
When doing 3d carves that require thicker stock do people glue boards stacked to get the desired thickness or just find stock that is thicker?
February 6, 2021 at 5:24 AM

I search out the thicker lumber. Typically Cherry is what I use the most of. 6/4-8/4 x up to 12” wide. I’ll buy 600-700 bucks worth at a time that’s usually 5 12’ boards. 

July 2, 2021 at 6:27 PM

With regards to costing and time I have learned the following through my many years as an Entrepreneur:

Price
Time
Quality

You only get to pick two.